Five Benefits of Farm Fresh Eggs
Five Benefits of Farm Fresh Eggs
Flock Management : Egg Benefits
Purina Animal Nutrition via https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/education/detail/five-benefits-of-farm-fresh-eggs
Eggs are one of nature’s most perfect protein sources.
That’s why the average American eats more than 260 eggs each year.1 How can we take this essential food to the next level? Families across the country have found the answer with farm fresh eggs. At just 70 calories, you can enjoy the health benefits of eggs guilt-free. Each large two-ounce (57 gram) egg provides six grams of digestible protein. With 18 of the 20 amino acids and all 10 essential amino acids in abundance, eggs have an excellent amino acid profile.
But not all eggs are created equally. Egg quality, taste and nutrition are connected to the production system behind the eggs.
It all starts with the feed given to the hen who lays the eggs. People enjoy raising chickens because it gives them the power to decide how the hens are raised. Then, the payoff is fresh eggs with added nutrition and undeniable flavor.
Following are five key benefits of farm fresh eggs.
1. The power to choose Many chicken raisers have joined the farm fresh egg movement because they are able to choose everything for the birds, from housing to healthcare and from feed to entertainment. These choices impact the eggs the hens produce.
This mentality was clear when polling chicken enthusiasts on the Purina Poultry Facebook page. Chicken raisers said: "My chickens are a part of my family. I love choosing everything for them, and my family enjoys the eggs and entertainment they give us.” And, “It’s amazing what animals can do for us simply by being themselves.”
2. Local support Farm fresh eggs benefit others in your local economy and ecosystem, starting in the backyard and connecting to the community. To begin, backyard chickens can benefit the backyard by naturally fertilizing, managing insects and controlling weeds. Their impact then connects to the community with the purchase of local supplies and shared camaraderie.
Backyard chickens have the power to build a sense of community and local pride. From chicken meet-up groups and coop tours to inclusion in community gardens and school curriculum, these wonderful birds quickly become a part of the communities they live in.
3. Undeniable freshness Farm fresh eggs can be collected within minutes, providing convenient, homegrown food. Backyard chicken raisers enjoy visits to the backyard each morning to greet their pets and gather freshly laid eggs.
You can enjoy the health benefits of farm fresh eggs through added fresh flavor each day or you can store them refrigerated for up to 30 days. Having a source of fresh eggs right in the backyard allows families to experiment with new recipes and enjoy eggs whenever they like.
4. Enhanced flavor and color The more tangible benefits of farm fresh eggs are flavor and color. Farm fresh eggs are known for having rich, vibrant yolks and firm, clear whites. This is because specific feed ingredients are responsible for taste and appearance. For example, marigold extract impacts yolk color while added calcium promotes stronger shells.
Color and consistency of the yolk and egg are largely due to the chicken’s feed. When you raise backyard hens, you can choose to feed a high-quality complete feed that impacts the taste and quality of the egg.
5. Added nutrition Perhaps the top feel-good reason about farm fresh eggs is their potential nutritional benefits